So, you are going to write an academic work starting from choosing a topic to a thesis statement and then proceeding with the writing process with logical structure and evidence to support it, but need expert guidance, this article is for you!
“Academic writing is not an event but a process that occurs over time.”
Academic writing is a formal way of writing to present scholarly material, transmit information and ideas and define certain phenomena. Whether you are a school, college going or university student, you must have to understand the basic components of academic writing as it is essential for all students belonging to all programmes.
When it comes to writing an academic paper or coursework, students often look for academic writing services because these services streamline their process of academic writing and help them to achieve their goals.
Let’s explore the 5 steps of the writing process with examples here that you must know as important components of academic writing.
Characteristics and Components of Academic Writing
To learn academic writing skills, you must know about its characteristics, qualities, and a step-by-step guide to writing quality content. To start the writing process, first, you must understand some characteristics of academic writing including:
- Clear formal writing
- Specific word choice
- Preference for reasons over emotions
- An imagined reader
- Use of third-person style
- Covering answers to the research questions
To start writing a college assignment or coursework, make sure that you cover these questions published in the book Writing Spaces: Readings on Writing. If you find it difficult to solve these questions, get help from The Academic Papers UK anywhere at any time.
Then consider the five basic qualities and components of academic writing:
- Clarity and focus on the central point of study.
- Develop your writing with related examples and references.
- All the paragraphs must be relatable to each other and answer your topic questions.
- All the information should be organised and flowy to make sense of the writing.
- Your academic work must be mistakes-free and correct and presented in standard English coursework writing.
5 Steps of the Writing Process
Andrew P. Johnson presented steps of the process of academic writing in the book Academic Writing (Process and Product) in 2016. Here is an overview of his academic writing process:
Read about: 10 Reasons to Invest in Book Publishing Bundles
Step 1: Preparation Before Writing (Prewriting)
First, understand your coursework requirements clearly to start the writing process. Then choose a topic accordingly by doing thorough research from different articles, research papers, journals, books etc. Narrow down your broad topic of research and make it fit your readers. For that;
- Check Audience needs and understand their voice.
- Get amazing ideas about your topic and organise them.
- Create an outline to cover all the essentials.
- Understand your topic and start researching it.
Reading components of academic writing but still facing difficulties in selecting a topic? Don’t worry at all! Take help from coursework writing service providers as their professional writers are very cooperative and assist you to select and write your content.
Step 2: Doing Research on Your Topic
“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed”
(Francis Bacon, Essays Of Studies, 1597)
Find out the sources of information where you can find academic literature. Start exploring all those sources one by one. They may include research papers, journals, books, ebooks, articles, and news.
Review the literature from Google Scholar, Google Books, online or physical libraries etc. Evaluate and make a record of your academic sources from where you have picked the information. Organise all the research on your topic and create outlines accordingly.
Step 3: Drafting Your Writing
- By seeing the outline, start writing your academic price of writing for a first draft.
- First, create short sentences and paragraphs and add facts to them.
- Don’t be upset, this process takes time and is not perfect to go until you make the necessary revisions.
- Add related information in these steps and provide evidence to support your points.
- Make sure you add your researched content accurately by removing all the plagiarism.
- Incorporate references where it is needed to make it credible and create a bibliography at the end.
- Make sure that you write in an organised manner to create a flow and make it easy to understand by the reader.
- After completing read it from start to end to judge your writing either it according to your outline and expectations or not and make corrections.
- Convey your ideas and thoughts about the topic in it and present them in a more convincing and understanding way.
According to Stephan Balley’s book on Academic Writing:
Step 4: Revising Your Written Content
Reread your academic writing to ensure that you have covered all the components of academic writing in it. If you find something irrelevant remove that part or make it relevant by adding some justifications.
Make necessary rearrangements in words, paragraphs or sentences to create a flow and make your writing logical. Replace informal or unclear words and add some transition words.
Check whether your writing has covered the following questions or not:
- Does the introduction demonstrate the objectives of the writing and make clear why the subject calls for more research?
- Does the body of my academic writing effectively support my thesis?
- Are my justifications convincing and clear to the reader?
- Do I correctly conclude the investigation with my conclusion?
Step 5: Editing and Proofreading Academic Writing
It is the last step or component of academic writing that you must carefully handle. Ensure that each sentence is complete and expresses the correct information. Read aloud your academic writing and go through the editing and proofreading. Correct punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and grammar mistakes.
Make sure that you are formatting your academic writing right according to your institute’s guidelines. You can format references in APA, MLA, Chicago, Harvard or any other style. Get honest feedback from other people and get a review of your academic work.
“Read your paper backward, sentence by sentence, as a final proofreading step. This technique isolates each sentence and makes it easier to spot errors you may have overlooked in previous readings.”
― Claire B. May Gordon S. May
Important things to think about before finalizing your writing:
- Does my introduction serve as the paper’s “GPS”?
- Does my paper have effective subheadings?
- Does each paragraph in the appropriate spot?
- Do I easily make transitions from one topic to another or from 1 paragraph to another?
- Can an educated person and a non-educated person be able to understand what I’ve written?
- Do any of the sentences have problematic wording or make no sense?
Got an idea of the components of academic writing and the whole writing process? This article covered all the important details related to your coursework writing so that you can learn how to write academic content precisely.
Sometimes students get stuck during the writing process and find no one to help them with their academic writing. This problem is now solved by The Academic Papers UK as they offer 24/7 online academic writing services to students.
Related Article: Effective ways to improve studies